OneBeacon’s Farmington, CT, New Jersey and New York City offices will be open for business as usual today, January 28. Due to continued hazardous conditions in the city, the Boston office will be closed. The Canton office will open, however given the significant variances in snowfall and travel conditions in Massachusetts, employees who cannot safely get to the office are encouraged to stay home.
Boston and Canton Employees able to work at home should be available by phone and email.
The nostalgic feeling associated with doctors’ house calls reflects a classic one-to-one experience. However, today’s medical technology may have one-upped this approach through the emergence of “personalized medicine.” This new methodology relies on biomarkers to diagnose and establish treatment protocols based on each person’s unique characteristics. Furthermore, personalized medicine may transform the overall medical industry by enabling health-care providers to shift their emphasis from response to prevention.
Understanding the science behind personalized medicine is the subject of our most recent whitepaper titled “Biomarker. Molecular Detective: Personalized Medicine; the Next Generation of Diagnosis and Treatment” authored by OneBeacon Technology Risk Control Manager Mike Campbell. In this whitepaper, we explain biomarkers and how they can be used for detection and customized treatment, the FDA view, and the associated risks. You can also learn about our life sciences risk management capabilities on our website.
If you’re attending the Chicago boat show this week, we invite you to visit with our National Marine Underwriters (NMU) team. NMU’s Al Saunders will be manning exhibition booth A333 at the show, taking place January 14 – 18 at McCormick Place. Stop by to meet with Al and learn more about our marine insurance services!
For more information on the event, please visit: www.chicagoboatshow.com.
After receiving more than 800 votes in our holiday ecard donation poll, the OneBeacon Charitable Trust was pleased to allocate $30,000 among three worthy nonprofits as follows:
Additionally, our Charitable Trust donated $51,000 to nonprofits in those communities where OneBeacon has a presence. Listed below are the 21 organizations our local offices (noted in parentheses) selected to support this holiday season:
- American Cancer Society (New York City)
- Annapolis Area Ministries Inc. (Annapolis, MD)
- Boys Hope Girls Hope of IL (Chicago)
- Canton Area Helpline (Canton, MA)
- Cavalry Children’s Home (Atlanta)
- Clarity Child Guidance Center (San Antonio)
- Dorothy Day Center -Catholic Charities of St. Paul & Minneapolis (Minnetonka, MN)
- Father Bill’s and Main Spring (Canton, MA)
- Food Bank of the Rockies (Denver)
- Food Share (Farmington, CT)
- Harvesters (Overland Park, KS)
- Holy Trinity Parish Food (New York City)
- Interfaith Food Pantry (Morristown, NJ)
- Pine Street Inn (Boston)
- RFK Center for Justice & Humanity (New York City)
- San Francisco Food Bank (San Francisco)
- Seattle Children’s Hospital (Seattle)
- Sharing and Caring Hands (Mary Jo’s Place) (Minnetonka, MN)
- Jude Children’s Research Hospital (Los Angeles)
- SW Virginia Second Harvest Food Bank (Salem, VA)
- The Greater Boston Food Bank (Boston)
OneBeacon was pleased to donate over $80,000 during the recent holiday season, supporting organizations that matter most to our community.
As the cold weather settles in, our team from National Marine Underwriters (NMU) offers tips for winterizing your watercraft. Though it may seem like a tedious task, effectively winterizing your boat can help you avoid costly repairs come springtime.
Read NMU’s tips here to help guide you in the winterization process, from caring for your engine to securing proper winter storage. And remember, protecting your vessel now can ensure smooth sailing this spring!
From all of us at OneBeacon, we wish you and your families all the best in 2015.
We are excited to begin the new year as a pure specialty company, and look forward to working with you in 2015 and beyond.