At the end of September, OneBeacon Government Risks’ Curtis Weible attended the IIASD Annual Convention in Deadwood, South Dakota where he promoted FirstFire Services, the insurance solution for fire and emergency responders. Alongside Curtis was our partner Trevor Lightfield at Fischer, Rounds and Associates. The trade show was a success, as we always look forward to collaborating with our producer partners at events like these!
Earlier this week, producers from the Denver area came to tee off with our OneBeacon “pros” at Topgolf for our third Open House of the year! Five of our businesses gathered together to discuss their products, services and expertise, while enjoying the venue’s driving range. Underwriting teams from Inland Marine, Environmental, Financial Services, Management Liability and Technology participated in the event. These events are also a great opportunity to connect with colleagues and make new contacts. 2019 planning is underway for these events, with Los Angeles being the next city for January’s Open House!
Enjoy the photos from this past event!
Denver partners! We appreciate your business and the relationship you have with us. We hope you’ll join us at our open house on Wednesday, October 3 from 3:30-6:30 pm at Topgolf located at 10601 East Easter Ave in Centennial.
Enjoy appetizers, cocktails, golf and the opportunity to connect with colleagues and make new contacts. Meet OneBeacon underwriting teams from:
- Financial Services
- Inland Marine
- Management Liability
Register today! We look forward to seeing you on the 3rd!
From conferences and trade shows, to conventions and career fairs, we’ve been busy here at OneBeacon! To catch you up, here’s where we are this week:
- OneBeacon Financial Services is at the IBA Annual Convention this week! From September 16-18, Tammy Placzek and Jaime Slinden are in Des Moines, so stop by booth #212 to find out about our specialty insurance solutions.
- OneBeacon Specialty Property and OneBeacon Environmental will be at the 2018 WSIA Annual Marketplace in Atlanta from September 23-26. The Annual Marketplace is widely recognized as the premier event for the surplus lines industry, and is attended by more than 4,000 professionals in the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines industry.
- OneBeacon Management Liability Claims’ Jessenia Vazcones-Yagual will be participating on a panel discussion at the Annual National Employment Practices Liability Insurance ExecuSummit in Uncasville, CT from September 25-26. Presenters will share their expertise to provide attendees with the essential EPL insurance underwriting and claims intelligence you need to know.
You can find members from our recruiting team at the following college career fairs:
- Alongside recruiting, members from our IT team will attend the James Madison University Science and Engineering Fair on September 19 in Virginia.
- Representatives from the corporate finance team will attend the University of St. Thomas Accounting Club Career Fair on September 20 in Minnesota.
- University of Minnesota will host the Carlson School of Management Career & Internship Fair on September 20, where representatives from our corporate finance team will be in attendance.
- Members from our actuarial team will attend the University of Minnesota Actuarial Career Fair on September 25.
- Radford University will host a career fair targeting all majors on September 26.
- Wentworth Institute of Technology in Massachusetts will host their CO-OP and Career Fair, with members from our IT team in attendance.
Last month, the United States Coast Guard released their 2017 Recreational Boating Statistics Report. According to the report, last year saw a decrease in recreational boating accidents from 2016. The Coast Guard reported over 4,000 accidents that involved 658 deaths, 2,629 injuries and approximately $46 million dollars of damage to property.
This month’s boating tip article from National Marine Underwriters and International Marine Underwriters provides the report released by the USCG. Read the full article here, and visit nmu.com and imu.com for more tips and insights.
Members from our Online/OnDemand team had the opportunity to attend the Homeland Security National Cybersecurity Summit in New York City last week. The event presented public-private partnerships by convening CEOs and senior executives with U.S. cabinet secretaries and senior government officials, along with hundreds of senior risk and security officers across a wide range of sectors. It provided an action-oriented forum to identify joint cybersecurity efforts across government and industry.
The summit included a series of roundtable and panel discussions, led by private executives, government leaders and domain experts. Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of Homeland Security, Kirstjen M. Nielson delivered keynote speaker remarks.
We are excited to announce the winners of this year’s annual college scholarship program! For the 15th consecutive year, OneBeacon has awarded $2,000 scholarships to 16 high-school seniors. Eight of these awards were given to our producers’ children, while the other eight were given to the children of OneBeacon employees.
The winning recipients were selected based on criteria including their academic performance, leadership roles and participation in school, as well as community activities. The program is administered by Scholarship Management Services®, a nonprofit scholarship program administrator, and funded by our Charitable Trust.
View the list of winners in our news release>>
Independence Day, or the Fourth of July is an opportunity to celebrate with family, friends and the community. Preferably, outside grilling, swimming, watching fireworks and other popular activities traditional to the holiday. But in order to have that fun-filled day, it’s important to stay safe. Accident-free holidays are the best holidays!
If you’re planning to make a splash at a private or public pool or the beach this holiday, review these tips from the American Red Cross on water safety. Primarily, they encourage swimmers to be water competent—know that the ocean, lakes and rivers are much different environments from pools. If you aren’t a strong swimmer, these tips may be helpful for preparing. They’re also a great resource for parents with children.
If you are hosting or partaking in a classic Fourth of July barbeque, it’s important to make sure the food you’re serving or bringing is well prepared and ready to eat. FoodSafety.gov provides helpful information to make sure any meats are cooked safely, and how to wash vegetables appropriately.
To end the day, fireworks displays are a must for many people. While fireworks are a fun and thrilling activity, they are dangerous if the proper precautions aren’t taken. USA.gov provides helpful safety information. Importantly, remember to make sure fireworks are legal in your community before buying or using them. Even if your state allows fireworks, that doesn’t mean that your county, town, or city permit their use.
We hope you have a safe and fun Fourth of July!
As you know, the Annapolis Capitol Gazette building was the scene of a tragic incident on Thursday afternoon. Our IMU Yacht Center is located in that building and thankfully, everyone on our team is safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Capital Gazette community and their families during this difficult time.
Our office reopened on Monday, July 2.
As we near the official start of summer, it’s also the start of the Atlantic hurricane season, which runs June through November. Last year the United States and its territories saw major devastation, as hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose and Maria blew through and made landfall.
This month’s boating tip from National Marine Underwriters and International Marine Underwriters provides a forecast from the Insurance Industry Institution (I.I.I.) into the 2018 hurricane season, in addition to statistics from past hurricane seasons. Read the full article here, and visit nmu.com and imu.com for more tips and insights.