The holidays are in full swing—and for many of us, that means shopping! The reliance on online holiday shopping continues to grow, making it a very lucrative time for cyber criminals to “shop” for your personal and financial information. Be particularly vigilant this time of year, being careful for phishing and SMiShing scams, fake shopping web sites and charity scams.
To help you be security smart over the coming weeks, here are some online shopping tips:
- Do your online shopping at home and make sure your wireless network is protected.
- Make sure your connection is secure.
- When making a purchase, always confirm the address bar of your browser starts with https:// (not http://). The s stands for secure and indicates the data being transmitted is encrypted.
- Beware that the small lock icon on your browser does not necessarily mean the site is secure. Cyber criminals are increasingly adding it to scam websites in their efforts to deceive people.
- Shop at websites you trust. Don’t click on links in emails, and never log in to a site via an email link. Instead, open a browser and hand type the Web address.
- Before placing an order with an unfamiliar website, search for online reviews using the words scam or fraud in an effort to determine its authenticity.
- Ensure your devices are updated with the current software version.
- Be aware of fake apps that may imitate apps made by legitimate retailers. You should only load apps from the official stores for Android (Play Store) and IOS (App Store).
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card, and review statements. Most credit cards have built-in fraud protection – just notify them quickly if you suspect something.
- Be cautious of phishing and SMiShing scams with fake shipping notifications and tracking alerts.
- Instead of clicking on the included link, go to the online retailer and follow the tracking link, or search the tracking number provided to determine if it is legitimate.
- And don’t forget to keep gifts a secret by clearing your browser history!
Taking precautionary steps like these will certainly help avoid any unfortunate situations this shopping season. We hope you have a happy and safe holiday!
According to the Inland Marine Underwriters Association (IMUA), cargo theft incidents over the holidays are traditionally higher than any other period during the year.
In 2017, there were a total of 18 cargo theft incidents that were reported over the Thanksgiving holiday including a warehouse burglary of nearly $500,000 worth of whiskey. This is hardly a coincidence as cargo criminals take advantage of the extended “shopping” time.
Of particular note, California led the way with 8 reported theft incidents followed by 3 in New Jersey, 2 in Florida, 2 in Texas and 1 reported incident in Illinois and Iowa.
As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend approaches, take a moment to review these measures suggested by the IMUA on protecting goods at rest and at risk.
If you have any questions, please contact Stephen Lavallee at 781.332.7915 or email@example.com.
As the temperatures begin to drop, it’s time to start thinking about next steps when it comes to your boat. The time and effort spent on the process of winterization will directly affect the boat’s performance, so protecting vessels properly is crucial. Come spring time, you will want a seamless transition back into the water!
This month’s boating tip article from National Marine Underwriters and International Marine Underwriters discusses the importance of prepping your watercraft for the winter months. The article also provides a useful checklist that outlines the priorities for winterizing a boat. Read the full article here, and visit nmu.com and imu.com for more tips and insights.
At the end of September, OneBeacon Government Risks’ Curtis Weible attended the IIASD Annual Convention in Deadwood, South Dakota where he promoted FirstFire Services, the insurance solution for fire and emergency responders. Alongside Curtis was our partner Trevor Lightfield at Fischer, Rounds and Associates. The trade show was a success, as we always look forward to collaborating with our producer partners at events like these!
Earlier this week, producers from the Denver area came to tee off with our OneBeacon “pros” at Topgolf for our third Open House of the year! Five of our businesses gathered together to discuss their products, services and expertise, while enjoying the venue’s driving range. Underwriting teams from Inland Marine, Environmental, Financial Services, Management Liability and Technology participated in the event. These events are also a great opportunity to connect with colleagues and make new contacts. 2019 planning is underway for these events, with Los Angeles being the next city for January’s Open House!
Enjoy the photos from this past event!
Denver partners! We appreciate your business and the relationship you have with us. We hope you’ll join us at our open house on Wednesday, October 3 from 3:30-6:30 pm at Topgolf located at 10601 East Easter Ave in Centennial.
Enjoy appetizers, cocktails, golf and the opportunity to connect with colleagues and make new contacts. Meet OneBeacon underwriting teams from:
- Financial Services
- Inland Marine
- Management Liability
Register today! We look forward to seeing you on the 3rd!
From conferences and trade shows, to conventions and career fairs, we’ve been busy here at OneBeacon! To catch you up, here’s where we are this week:
- OneBeacon Financial Services is at the IBA Annual Convention this week! From September 16-18, Tammy Placzek and Jaime Slinden are in Des Moines, so stop by booth #212 to find out about our specialty insurance solutions.
- OneBeacon Specialty Property and OneBeacon Environmental will be at the 2018 WSIA Annual Marketplace in Atlanta from September 23-26. The Annual Marketplace is widely recognized as the premier event for the surplus lines industry, and is attended by more than 4,000 professionals in the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines industry.
- OneBeacon Management Liability Claims’ Jessenia Vazcones-Yagual will be participating on a panel discussion at the Annual National Employment Practices Liability Insurance ExecuSummit in Uncasville, CT from September 25-26. Presenters will share their expertise to provide attendees with the essential EPL insurance underwriting and claims intelligence you need to know.
You can find members from our recruiting team at the following college career fairs:
- Alongside recruiting, members from our IT team will attend the James Madison University Science and Engineering Fair on September 19 in Virginia.
- Representatives from the corporate finance team will attend the University of St. Thomas Accounting Club Career Fair on September 20 in Minnesota.
- University of Minnesota will host the Carlson School of Management Career & Internship Fair on September 20, where representatives from our corporate finance team will be in attendance.
- Members from our actuarial team will attend the University of Minnesota Actuarial Career Fair on September 25.
- Radford University will host a career fair targeting all majors on September 26.
- Wentworth Institute of Technology in Massachusetts will host their CO-OP and Career Fair, with members from our IT team in attendance.
Last month, the United States Coast Guard released their 2017 Recreational Boating Statistics Report. According to the report, last year saw a decrease in recreational boating accidents from 2016. The Coast Guard reported over 4,000 accidents that involved 658 deaths, 2,629 injuries and approximately $46 million dollars of damage to property.
This month’s boating tip article from National Marine Underwriters and International Marine Underwriters provides the report released by the USCG. Read the full article here, and visit nmu.com and imu.com for more tips and insights.
Members from our Online/OnDemand team had the opportunity to attend the Homeland Security National Cybersecurity Summit in New York City last week. The event presented public-private partnerships by convening CEOs and senior executives with U.S. cabinet secretaries and senior government officials, along with hundreds of senior risk and security officers across a wide range of sectors. It provided an action-oriented forum to identify joint cybersecurity efforts across government and industry.
The summit included a series of roundtable and panel discussions, led by private executives, government leaders and domain experts. Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of Homeland Security, Kirstjen M. Nielson delivered keynote speaker remarks.
We are excited to announce the winners of this year’s annual college scholarship program! For the 15th consecutive year, OneBeacon has awarded $2,000 scholarships to 16 high-school seniors. Eight of these awards were given to our producers’ children, while the other eight were given to the children of OneBeacon employees.
The winning recipients were selected based on criteria including their academic performance, leadership roles and participation in school, as well as community activities. The program is administered by Scholarship Management Services®, a nonprofit scholarship program administrator, and funded by our Charitable Trust.
View the list of winners in our news release>>