We’ve been busy this week! Our Accident & Health team has been in Charlotte, NC for the Self Insure Health Plan Executive Forum. There, they’ve attended educational sessions, as they networked with those who support self-insured group health plans. The team was happy to be there and learn more about growing the self-insurance marketplace.
Additionally, our Financial Services team has been in Nashville, TN this week exhibiting at the 2019 ICBA Live Convention. This high-energy event providing the latest industry insights and ideas is the ultimate gathering for community bankers. If you’re in the area, stop by booth #331 and say hello to our team!
Our OneBeacon Financial Services team!
For the 16th consecutive year, we will be awarding 16 college scholarships for the upcoming academic year to high-school seniors funded through the OneBeacon Charitable Trust. Eight of these $2,000 awards will be available to the children of the brokers, agencies and wholesalers doing business with OneBeacon. The remaining eight awards will be available to children of OneBeacon employees.
Applying is easy—simply complete the online application by April 16. If you have any questions, please contact our scholarship program administrator, Scholarship Management Services at 507.931.1682.
Scholarship recipients will be announced in early June, and the awards will apply toward the 2019-2020 academic year. Best of luck to the Class of 2019!
It’s February! And that means Insurance Careers Month has officially begun. This initiative aims to collaborate with the industry’s community to raise awareness and inspire young professionals to choose insurance as a career. All month long, we’ll be sharing our experiences working in the insurance industry, and how it’s a stable, rewarding and limitless career. We’ll be posting Insurance Careers content to our social media, so be sure to follow us!
Connect with us on LinkedIn and follow our OneBeacon Twitter accounts: @OneBeaconIns and @OneBeaconJobs (careers page). To learn more about this movement, visit their website and find out how you can get involved!
Due to the extreme cold temperatures affecting certain areas of the Midwest, our Plymouth, MN office will be closing at 12pm CT today and will be closed all day tomorrow, Wednesday 1/30. Additionally, our Chicago and Palos Heights offices will be closed all day tomorrow.
Stay warm and be safe!
In recent years, the practice of scientifically adapting human DNA has been advanced through the breakthroughs resulting from the National Institute of Health’s Human Genome Project. Through the careful adaption of DNA, researchers are advancing targeted options for treating serious illnesses, such as certain cancers. But these opportunities are also introducing important conversations regarding medical ethics and other risks.
OneBeacon Technology is pleased to offer deeper insights on this topic in their first whitepaper of the year titled “Gene Editing: CRISPR/Cas-9 and Beyond” authored by Medical Technology Risk Control Specialist Michael Campbell. In this whitepaper, Mike provides an overview of the methodology, reviews issues and concerns, and notes what is on the horizon for this emerging discipline.
We hope you enjoy this publication and invite you to browse their complete whitepaper library for additional technology-focused insights.
Nelson Kefauver has joined OneBeacon Insurance Group as President of our Management Liability business unit, reporting to Executive Vice President Paul Brehm. In his new role, Kefauver will lead a specialty underwriting team focused on providing management liability solutions targeting a broad range of not‐for‐profit organizations and private for‐profit companies throughout the U.S.
Read the full news release on onebeacon.com.
The tactics employed by internet scammers continue to become more sophisticated. Recently, KrebsOnSecurity reported a new phone-based scam that “spoofs” Apple Inc. and its customer service phone number for iPhone users.
Spoofing disguises the caller’s identity by using fake caller ID information. This particular vishing scam starts with an automated phone call that displays Apple’s logo, correct address and their correct phone number. This scam warns about a data breach at the company, and requests that the caller contact a toll-free number prior to doing anything else with their phone.
If an iPhone user requests a call back from Apple’s legitimate Customer Support line, the fake call gets indexed in the iPhone’s “recent calls” list and looks like the legitimate Apple Support line call.
A call to the fake toll-free number by KrebsOnSecurity was answered by an automated message indicating that Apple Support had been reached along with an expected wait time. Though the call was disconnected prior to a conversation, the call was eventually answered by an individual who did not work at Apple but at a call center. This scenario is indicative of a call center scam.
Security best practices suggest the following:
- Do not answer calls from telephone numbers you do not recognize.
- If you answer, do not respond to any questions and immediately hang up the phone.
- Beware that fake telephone numbers linked to scammers are becoming more prevalent in search engine results.
- Obtain a telephone number directly from a company’s website (not just a Google search).
For the complete article and other security insights, visit KrebsOnSecurity.com.
Due to inclement winter weather, our Salem and Richmond, Virginia offices will be closed Monday, December 10. Those employees able to work from home should be reachable by phone and email. We expect offices to be open for business as usual Tuesday, December 11. Thank you.
The holidays are in full swing—and for many of us, that means shopping! The reliance on online holiday shopping continues to grow, making it a very lucrative time for cyber criminals to “shop” for your personal and financial information. Be particularly vigilant this time of year, being careful for phishing and SMiShing scams, fake shopping web sites and charity scams.
To help you be security smart over the coming weeks, here are some online shopping tips:
- Do your online shopping at home and make sure your wireless network is protected.
- Make sure your connection is secure.
- When making a purchase, always confirm the address bar of your browser starts with https:// (not http://). The s stands for secure and indicates the data being transmitted is encrypted.
- Beware that the small lock icon on your browser does not necessarily mean the site is secure. Cyber criminals are increasingly adding it to scam websites in their efforts to deceive people.
- Shop at websites you trust. Don’t click on links in emails, and never log in to a site via an email link. Instead, open a browser and hand type the Web address.
- Before placing an order with an unfamiliar website, search for online reviews using the words scam or fraud in an effort to determine its authenticity.
- Ensure your devices are updated with the current software version.
- Be aware of fake apps that may imitate apps made by legitimate retailers. You should only load apps from the official stores for Android (Play Store) and IOS (App Store).
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card, and review statements. Most credit cards have built-in fraud protection – just notify them quickly if you suspect something.
- Be cautious of phishing and SMiShing scams with fake shipping notifications and tracking alerts.
- Instead of clicking on the included link, go to the online retailer and follow the tracking link, or search the tracking number provided to determine if it is legitimate.
- And don’t forget to keep gifts a secret by clearing your browser history!
Taking precautionary steps like these will certainly help avoid any unfortunate situations this shopping season. We hope you have a happy and safe holiday!
We are pleased to welcome Brian Clifford to OneBeacon Management Liability. Brian joined the team in October 2018 as Vice President. He oversees underwriting in the northern region where his focus is on growing a profitable book of management liability business across the entire product suite. He brings nearly 15 years of industry experience to OneBeacon, including time in both product development and distribution roles. Based out of the Chicago office, he reports to Management Liability President, Stacy Paquet. We are excited to have Brian on our team and look forward to his contributions!