Due to inclement winter weather, our Salem and Richmond, Virginia offices will be closed Monday, December 10. Those employees able to work from home should be reachable by phone and email. We expect offices to be open for business as usual Tuesday, December 11. Thank you.
The holidays are in full swing—and for many of us, that means shopping! The reliance on online holiday shopping continues to grow, making it a very lucrative time for cyber criminals to “shop” for your personal and financial information. Be particularly vigilant this time of year, being careful for phishing and SMiShing scams, fake shopping web sites and charity scams.
To help you be security smart over the coming weeks, here are some online shopping tips:
- Do your online shopping at home and make sure your wireless network is protected.
- Make sure your connection is secure.
- When making a purchase, always confirm the address bar of your browser starts with https:// (not http://). The s stands for secure and indicates the data being transmitted is encrypted.
- Beware that the small lock icon on your browser does not necessarily mean the site is secure. Cyber criminals are increasingly adding it to scam websites in their efforts to deceive people.
- Shop at websites you trust. Don’t click on links in emails, and never log in to a site via an email link. Instead, open a browser and hand type the Web address.
- Before placing an order with an unfamiliar website, search for online reviews using the words scam or fraud in an effort to determine its authenticity.
- Ensure your devices are updated with the current software version.
- Be aware of fake apps that may imitate apps made by legitimate retailers. You should only load apps from the official stores for Android (Play Store) and IOS (App Store).
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card, and review statements. Most credit cards have built-in fraud protection – just notify them quickly if you suspect something.
- Be cautious of phishing and SMiShing scams with fake shipping notifications and tracking alerts.
- Instead of clicking on the included link, go to the online retailer and follow the tracking link, or search the tracking number provided to determine if it is legitimate.
- And don’t forget to keep gifts a secret by clearing your browser history!
Taking precautionary steps like these will certainly help avoid any unfortunate situations this shopping season. We hope you have a happy and safe holiday!
We are pleased to welcome Brian Clifford to OneBeacon Management Liability. Brian joined the team in October 2018 as Vice President. He oversees underwriting in the northern region where his focus is on growing a profitable book of management liability business across the entire product suite. He brings nearly 15 years of industry experience to OneBeacon, including time in both product development and distribution roles. Based out of the Chicago office, he reports to Management Liability President, Stacy Paquet. We are excited to have Brian on our team and look forward to his contributions!
According to the Inland Marine Underwriters Association (IMUA), cargo theft incidents over the holidays are traditionally higher than any other period during the year.
In 2017, there were a total of 18 cargo theft incidents that were reported over the Thanksgiving holiday including a warehouse burglary of nearly $500,000 worth of whiskey. This is hardly a coincidence as cargo criminals take advantage of the extended “shopping” time.
Of particular note, California led the way with 8 reported theft incidents followed by 3 in New Jersey, 2 in Florida, 2 in Texas and 1 reported incident in Illinois and Iowa.
As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend approaches, take a moment to review these measures suggested by the IMUA on protecting goods at rest and at risk.
If you have any questions, please contact Stephen Lavallee at 781.332.7915 or email@example.com.
As the temperatures begin to drop, it’s time to start thinking about next steps when it comes to your boat. The time and effort spent on the process of winterization will directly affect the boat’s performance, so protecting vessels properly is crucial. Come spring time, you will want a seamless transition back into the water!
This month’s boating tip article from National Marine Underwriters and International Marine Underwriters discusses the importance of prepping your watercraft for the winter months. The article also provides a useful checklist that outlines the priorities for winterizing a boat. Read the full article here, and visit nmu.com and imu.com for more tips and insights.
OneBeacon Accident & Health is proud to be a sponsor at this year’s Health Rosetta Chicago Wake-Up call Forum taking place on November 13 in Chicago. Julie Bobak, Amy Carlson and Christy Vago will join leading experts, local providers, employers and civic leaders to discuss the impact of the opioid epidemic on citizens, employers and communities. The Wake-Up Call Forum shines a spotlight on the largest public health care crisis in 100 years, and reveals what can be done today as we look upstream to avoid enabling more waves of addition. The team looks forward to being a part of this event and the discussions!
Our Entertainment, Financial Institutions, Healthcare and Management Liability teams have arrived in San Diego for the 2018 PLUS conference taking place from November 7-9. In addition to catching up with colleagues and the learning opportunities offered at the conference, we’re excited to host our producer partners on November 7at The Harbor House. We look forward to seeing you!
At the end of September, OneBeacon Government Risks’ Curtis Weible attended the IIASD Annual Convention in Deadwood, South Dakota where he promoted FirstFire Services, the insurance solution for fire and emergency responders. Alongside Curtis was our partner Trevor Lightfield at Fischer, Rounds and Associates. The trade show was a success, as we always look forward to collaborating with our producer partners at events like these!
Earlier this week, producers from the Denver area came to tee off with our OneBeacon “pros” at Topgolf for our third Open House of the year! Five of our businesses gathered together to discuss their products, services and expertise, while enjoying the venue’s driving range. Underwriting teams from Inland Marine, Environmental, Financial Services, Management Liability and Technology participated in the event. These events are also a great opportunity to connect with colleagues and make new contacts. 2019 planning is underway for these events, with Los Angeles being the next city for January’s Open House!
Enjoy the photos from this past event!
We are pleased to announce that International Marine Underwriters has expanded its product offering with information risk coverage to address a broad range of cyber incidents including data breach, threat of intrusion or interference with computer systems, damage to data and systems from cyber-attack and cyber-related litigation. Coverage is available as an endorsement to an existing IMU marine policy, including yacht club, marina and commercial marine package and certain hull and protection & indemnity policies.
Read the full announcement on imu.com.