In the latest issue of News from the Vault, OneBeacon Financial Services’ Craig Collins discusses the importance of employees taking vacation in the banking industry. In this article, he highlights the risk exposures when vacation is not taken, the warning signs, and vacation policy suggestions for the employer.
Parts of the U.S. are expecting extreme temperatures this weekend.
Keep yourself and your loved ones safe by knowing how to prepare and respond to extreme heat. Check out FEMA’s infographic including tips on staying safe during these temperatures. Due to these conditions, there may be black out situations. If this should happen locate your local cooling center.
You can also visit their website for more tips and insights.
Stay cool and safe!
The holidays are in full swing—and for many of us, that means shopping! The reliance on online holiday shopping continues to grow, making it a very lucrative time for cyber criminals to “shop” for your personal and financial information. Be particularly vigilant this time of year, being careful for phishing and SMiShing scams, fake shopping web sites and charity scams.
To help you be security smart over the coming weeks, here are some online shopping tips:
- Do your online shopping at home and make sure your wireless network is protected.
- Make sure your connection is secure.
- When making a purchase, always confirm the address bar of your browser starts with https:// (not http://). The s stands for secure and indicates the data being transmitted is encrypted.
- Beware that the small lock icon on your browser does not necessarily mean the site is secure. Cyber criminals are increasingly adding it to scam websites in their efforts to deceive people.
- Shop at websites you trust. Don’t click on links in emails, and never log in to a site via an email link. Instead, open a browser and hand type the Web address.
- Before placing an order with an unfamiliar website, search for online reviews using the words scam or fraud in an effort to determine its authenticity.
- Ensure your devices are updated with the current software version.
- Be aware of fake apps that may imitate apps made by legitimate retailers. You should only load apps from the official stores for Android (Play Store) and IOS (App Store).
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card, and review statements. Most credit cards have built-in fraud protection – just notify them quickly if you suspect something.
- Be cautious of phishing and SMiShing scams with fake shipping notifications and tracking alerts.
- Instead of clicking on the included link, go to the online retailer and follow the tracking link, or search the tracking number provided to determine if it is legitimate.
- And don’t forget to keep gifts a secret by clearing your browser history!
Taking precautionary steps like these will certainly help avoid any unfortunate situations this shopping season. We hope you have a happy and safe holiday!
According to the Inland Marine Underwriters Association (IMUA), cargo theft incidents over the holidays are traditionally higher than any other period during the year.
In 2017, there were a total of 18 cargo theft incidents that were reported over the Thanksgiving holiday including a warehouse burglary of nearly $500,000 worth of whiskey. This is hardly a coincidence as cargo criminals take advantage of the extended “shopping” time.
Of particular note, California led the way with 8 reported theft incidents followed by 3 in New Jersey, 2 in Florida, 2 in Texas and 1 reported incident in Illinois and Iowa.
As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend approaches, take a moment to review these measures suggested by the IMUA on protecting goods at rest and at risk.
If you have any questions, please contact Stephen Lavallee at 781.332.7915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OneBeacon Government Risks (OBGR) is attending the Public Risk Management Association’s (PRIMA) 2018 Annual Conference, June 3-6, 2018 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
If you’re attending the conference, stop by Booth #409 during exhibit hall hours to meet representatives from the team. Additionally, OBGR will lead an educational seminar entitled, Caught on Video: Employers, Municipalities and Trial by Social Media.
For more details about the conference, visit the event website at conference.primacentral.org .
Ensuring sufficient process heat and steam for your operation relies on properly caring for your facility’s boiler. Besides cleaning and safety inspections, simply ensuring proper water levels will minimize service disruptions. We are pleased to share our latest safety tips titled “Maintenance and Water Treatment for Your Process Boiler” authored by our partners at Hartford Steam Boiler.
These safety tips outline actionable steps for maintaining proper water levels and includes a brief Q&A on boiler operations.
For additional safety tips and risk management whitepapers, please visit our online library.